Haunted Yorkshire

They're Closer Than You Think!

Selby Sightings

 

“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.”

Could there be a world that lies beyond our beliefs?

These are some of the reported sightings and stories of ordinary people, who believe they have had an extraordinary experience!

Some names have been changed for the purpose of this website!

 

Index

Index of listings

Please scroll down the page.

Cawood Castle
Selby Town hall

 

 

We are still looking for sightings for this page, if you would like to submit one please click here

 

Cawood castle

Cawood Castle was a palace of the Archbishop of York and built upon an early Saxon fortification dating from the reign of King Athelstan 925AD - 939AD. During the English Civil War (1642–1651) Cawood was fought over several times and as also served as a prisoner of war camp. Following the war it was all but destroyed and all that remains now is the gatehouse and banqueting hall. Four decades after the castles abandonment, a murder took place within its grounds and the killer was apparently caught with the aid of his victim’s ghost, when she appeared to her sister.

 

The Murder of Mary Barwick was the responsibility of William Barwick her husband, Mary was with child at the time. It is believed that he murdered her because he had had to marry her for being pregnant and the thought of staying with her was too much for him to bear.

 

He took her to the pond in the grounds of the castle and threw her in, she drowned killing her and her unborn child, he later came back that night and buried her body at the side of the pond. Marys ghost appears near the watery grave where she was buried all those years ago.

 

Selby Town Hall

Selby town hall dates back to 1662 when it was originally used as a chapel.  However, more recently the ghost of a man described as wearing a long velvet jack and long hair. Reports show that there was a rough sleeper who died in a fire there before it became the town hall.